BRICS is a grouping acronym referring to the five major countries of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, which are all deemed to be at a similar stage of newly advanced economic development.
Following the ‘BRICs in the Arctic: Emerging Opportunities for Collaborative Initiatives’ breakout session organised at the 2016 Arctic Circle Assembly in Reykjavik, the panelists and PRPI Directors decided to set up a new BRICS Engagement Forum.
The PRPI – BRICS Steering Committee is composed of:
- Sergio C. Trindade, President, SE2T International, Ltd.
- R. K. Pachauri, Former Head of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Celma Regina Hellebust, lawyer, Honorary Vice-Consul for Brazil in Stavanger
- Carolina A. Freire, Professor of Animal Physiology, Federal University of Paraná, Brazil
- Valery Konyshev, Professor, School of International Relations, St. Petersburg State University
- Maria L. Lagutina, Associate Professor, Vice-head of World Politics Department, Saint Petersburg State University