The mission of Polar Research and Policy Initiative is to:
- raise the profile and understanding of the Arctic, Nordic, North Atlantic, North Pacific and Antarctic regions in the UK, the US and across the Commonwealth;
- support polar researchers and polar research institutions in maximising the visibility, impact and reach of their research;
- increase and sustain the scholarly, cultural, political and commercial engagement of the UK, the US and relevant Commonwealth member states with the focus regions (especially the Arctic Council member states);
- help address some of the toughest political, social, economic and environmental challenges facing the peoples and places in its focus regions;
- facilitate greater bilateral trade and investment between Arctic states and Commonwealth member states.
The initiative shall serve as the nexus between researchers, explorers, journalists, policymakers, governments, international organisations, NGOs, industry, indigenous peoples and other stakeholders. It shall provide research, advisory, advocacy and stakeholder engagement services; organise events and outreach activities; and host a digital information portal, The Polar Connection.